Friday 22 May 2020

Premise - Reflective Statement

I walked into this project and the entire year of 2020 with confidence and my head held high, only for the year the metaphorically punch me in the stomach.

I was originally quite excited for the premise project as the opportunity to create my own story was one of the main reasons I came to the course, however I feel like this wasn't something I was fully able to achieve . I understand my difficulty in explaining my ideas fully, but I cannot ignore how frustrated I got when I didn't even have a foundation for my project in the first term of working on it. It was also about this time my mental health went back down the drain.

I don't want to use my depression as an excuse for the lack of work, but I will say it was a main point in my lack of motivation. Even once I finally had a beginning of a story, I failed to find the motivation to keep it going, which is why I took so long between updates.

That being said, I don't hate the work I have produced. I have quite enjoyed trying to learn the UPA style and I will continue to experiment with it over summer. The project I have finally got off of the ground here, in my opinion, is basic but can work and I'm more than happy to continue with it.

I'm just slightly annoyed that I had such high hopes for this project, only for it to crumble due to my mental health. And that's not even addressing the global pandemic sized elephant in the room.

The quarantine has ruined my work ethic. I struggle to focus at home, which is why I preferred to go into uni to work daily. Obviously this is no longer possible and my focus went out the window. Paired with my battle with mental health, this is why updates seemed to be less frequent than necessary at the end of the project.

I know in my OGR, Alan suggested I get then story planned out quickly so I have enough time to make improvements, unfortunately this was severely affected by previously mentioned issues.

Had there not been a pandemic or my mental health plummet, I would have liked to get at least another draft of the script created, I wanted to complete the animatic and I also wanted to at least started on some form of Pre-Vis. Unfortunately time was not a friend of mine this year.

Once again my biggest issue of the year was time management. I will be mentioning this in greater detail on my Toolkit 2 reflective statement.


In summary: I went into this project with high hopes, but my mental health and a planet wide pandemic kicked me down. Despite this, I still ended up with some work that I can say is at least decent, in my incredibly negative opinion.

I don't really have an excuse for my lack of stuff in terms of the careers pack outside of these same issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major - Reflective Statement

I won't lie, if I really wanted to I could make this reflective statement just be a list of every little detail that went wrong from pre...