Friday 4 October 2019

Toolkit 2 - Action Posing

Our fist toolkit lesson of the new year and we're starting with posing.



Alan gave us a pre-made character rig called "Moom". With this character we were tasked with recreating 5 action poses from references we found online. The references we used had to be of real people and couldn't be already animated images.
Alan also asked us to rate each pose with an emoji, indicating how injured the Moom is. A happy face indicates that Moom is uninjured, an unwell face indicates that Moom has been injured, and a deceased face indicates that the posing has killed poor Moom.

Pose 1: Deep Dab

So, I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to start this project off with memes.
The first pose I started on was Jackfilms' Deep Dab.



As soon as I uploaded this I noticed some issues, like the foot hovering above the floor and the pose not being as extreme as the reference. Honesty, for a first attempt, I could have done worse.
I gave a happy face rating as it doesn't look like Moom is seriously injured, maybe a bit uncomfortable if anything.

Pose 2: Jumping

Still being quite immature with my poses, the next one I decided to do would be a jumping pose from a 90's Sitcom freeze frame, however much to my disappointment, I couldn't find any cheesy freeze frames, so I just used a normal jumping stock photo as reference.



Looking at this pose now, I didn't do a very good job at it. The back could be more curved, the arms and legs should be bent a bit further, I could have do something with the facial expression.
I still gave a happy rating as Moom doesn't look injured at all.

Pose 3: Naruto Running

Continuing with memes, I decided the next pose should be of Moom "Naruto Running", in honour of the Area 51 Raid a few weeks back.



Honestly, I should've bent the back a bit more, but generally I think I did a decent job with this one. I still gave a happy face, but you could make the argument that their neck looks a bit stretched and strained.

Pose 4: Archery

This time I decided to do an actual, non jokey pose.



I tried to be a bit more thorough with the posing this time and I've only just seen where I've gone wrong with this one. The pose should have been pushed a bit further, the back knee should be touching the ground and the arms should have been moved a bit. I also tried moving the face a little bit, but I believe that we'll be working on facial expressions more later, so that wasn't a priority. Moom is still very much alive, despite have a bit of a wonky leg here.

Pose 5: Spider-Man

For my last pose I wanted to create the classic Spider-Man crouch pose. Luckily I managed to find a stock photo that wasn't a screenshot from any of the films (Where Spidey is usually animated to more super human positions).



Firstly, I'm reasonably proud that this one isn't completely wrong. Secondly, I can certainly see where I could have changed some things, such as slightly changing the position of their right hand and leaning the body forward more. I indicated that Moom is injured here as their pelvis has been somewhat crushed by me bending the back a bit. Whoops.


For my first attempt at proper posing, I'm quite pleased that I can at least get basic positions down, but I need to push them a bit further, I feel like I've held back on these when the pose calls for much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major - Reflective Statement

I won't lie, if I really wanted to I could make this reflective statement just be a list of every little detail that went wrong from pre...