Monday 18 November 2019

Character Design - Session 6

This session was focusing on props and sidekicks.

Our morning session was about creating props.
Justin gave us a prompt civilisation and we had to create both a character and props based on that prompt.
Justin gave me Ancient Persia. I know absolutely nothing about ancient Persia, so this was not the easiest exercise for me. I started by drawing some weapons and clothing.
Justin suggested I look at Persian mythology and then I noticed that the Manticore is Persian.

Our next task was to take our prompt and give it a sci-fi twist.
I got a bit carried away with the Manticore. What I ended up with was a version of the Manticore inspired by King Ghidorah from the Godzilla Anime. I also created a spaceship inspired by Persian weapons.

Getting back on track, Justin suggested I create a cultist character that worships the Manticore. I ended up with a character wearing robes, with laser weaponry inspired by Persian weapons.
The next part of he lesson moved onto sidekicks, however instead of giving us a new prompt he asked us to create a sidekick for our project character.

Since my hero, the Archer, is on his own in my story I figured that his sidekick could be a horse, or more likely a donkey, in the distance.

However I then started to think, how about a sidekick for the villain instead. At first I thought of a crow for the villainous vibe, but then Justin suggested a falcon for the Archer, but we discussed maybe giving it to the Knight to show power.



So this is the general design I settled on for the falcon. It's hunched over and grumpy looking. This is a bird that's been jaded by life.
After talking to Justin, I started stylising my characters. The Falcon here is a bit more exaggerated.

The Archer is a lot more lanky than his design from last week, taking inspiration from the design of his longbow. 

The Knight is now even buffer than before and a lot more stylised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major - Reflective Statement

I won't lie, if I really wanted to I could make this reflective statement just be a list of every little detail that went wrong from pre...