Thursday 29 October 2020

Art Jam - Session 1

New to this year, tri-weekly art jams.

This week saw the return of an art challenge from first year, Monster Mash.

Starting rules were simple, roll 3 numbers between 0 and 6 and this would determine how many eyes, arms & legs your monster would have.

I rolled:
Eyes: 2
Arms: 0
Legs: 6

Then you had to roll another number between 1 and 7 to get a character role.
I rolled a 4, which was goth.

Once you have you starting numbers, you are tasked with drawing 8 thumbnails for different monster designs.

To run with the goth type style, which I'm not super familiar with, I tried to think of things that are typically associated with the gothic style. Designs 1 & 3 are cthulhu, octopus type things. 2 & 4 are spiders, 4 specifically is shaped like a skull. 5 is dinosaur looking thing, but with spiked armbands, King Bowser was the main inspiration for that one. 6 is a 6 winged bat. 7 is a strange pug looking monster, but with fangs. 8 is based on the vampire squid.

After that, you have to pick 3 monsters you want to take forward onto the next stage, and then you need to roll a new number between 1 and 10 to select a personality type.
I rolled a 2, which was angry.

With this new bit of information, you redraw your 3 chosen monsters with more detail this time.

I decided to continue with monsters 5, 6 & 8. Monster 5, the dinosaur, wasn't originally meant to have sunglasses, but everyone in the session said it looked like it had them, so I ran with it. I also changed its pose to seem more angry. For monster 6, the bat, I just made more detailed. I think I went a bit overboard with the spike bands on monster 8, the squid.

Once you have done that you have one task left: Chose 1 of your monsters to finalise. 

I decided the monster I should finalise would be the bat, because I felt like it was the most gothic out of all of my monster designs.


1 comment:

  1. Nice Teri! Love the colours you brought forward in your final design :D

    ReplyDelete

Major - Reflective Statement

I won't lie, if I really wanted to I could make this reflective statement just be a list of every little detail that went wrong from pre...